Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Friday, May 15, 2009

Review- Dead is a State of Mind by Marlene Perez

News

Be sure to check out all the awesome guest posts and interviews this past week for GLBT Month on my myspace blog! Here are the guests I've had so far this month:

Jeannine Garsee
Saundra Mitchell
Lee Wind

And I've got a contest planned for Monday as well as a couple more throughout the month, so be sure to comment on posts to be entered to win a book! :)

Since I'm using the rest of this month on the Myspace blog for GLBT books, I'll be reviewing non-GLBT books here! :) Here's the first:

Review


Dead is a State of Mind by Marlene Perez
Welcome to Nightshade, California—a small town full of secrets. It’s home to the psychic Giordano sisters, who have a way of getting mixed up in mysteries. During their investigations, they run across everything from pom-pom- shaking vampires to shape-shifting boyfriends to a clue-spewing jukebox. With their psychic powers and some sisterly support, they can crack any case!

There’s a gorgeous new guy at Nightshade High: Duke Sherrad, a fortune-teller claiming to have descended from Gypsies. Even though she’s psychic herself, Daisy is skeptical of Duke’s powers. But when a teacher who was the subject of one of his predictions ends up dead, she begins to wonder if Duke is the real deal after all. Maybe if Daisy can track down the teacher’s killer, she can find out the truth. The only trouble is, all signs point to the murderer being of the furry persuasion. Is Daisy any match for a werewolf? Maybe she is . . . in more ways than she bargained for!


I really enjoyed the first book in this series (Dead is the New Black) and was looking forward to continuing it. I got this book from my library, which I was excited about, and read it fairly quickly. Like the first book, the pace isn't too fast or slow, but enough to keep the pages turning. I liked seeing how the romance between Daisy and Ryan played out, though when Ryan reveals his big secret, it falls flat as Daisy easily accepts it, and it's not talked about much past that event in the book. Another problem I had with it was that the climax happened in the last 10 pages, so the ending just felt really rushed. Aside from those complaints, it is a fun, quick read with a good mystery at the heart of it. Daisy and her sisters are great detectives and it's a pleasure to read about their adventures in solving paranormal crimes.

This book is available in bookstores everywhere now (actually, all three are out now), or can be ordered on Amazon here.

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely checking out this series once my TBR pile's shrunken a bit--I love the sound of it!

    ReplyDelete