Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes


Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
"At the age of four, Bryn watched a rabid werewolf brutally murder her parents. Alone in the world, she was rescued and taken in by Callum, the alpha of his pack. Now fifteen, Bryn's been raised as a human among werewolves, adhering to pack rule (mostly). Little fazes her.

But the pack's been keeping a secret, and when Bryn goes exploring against Callum's orders, she finds Chase, a newly turned teen Were locked in a cage. Terrifying memories of the attack on her mom and dad come flooding back. Bryn needs answers, and she needs Chase to get them. Suddenly, all allegiances to the pack no longer matter. It's Bryn and Chase against the werewolf world, whatever the consequences."- summary taken from ARC

I really enjoyed this novel. Barnes' focus on the Pack mentality and the hierarchy of everything was really interesting to read about, though at times, frustrating for the reader (or at least me) because of our different mindset. In reading about some of the decisions made supposedly "for the good of the Pack", I had to put the book down because it just made no sense to me. I'm not even sure if any of that makes sense. Essentially, what I'm saying is that I didn't agree with some of the decisions made by Callum and others because it wasn't the logical thing to do. I mean, I guess it all kind of pulled together in the end; every event throughout the book had a purpose, but making it through those decisions was tough for me. Mainly because I always think I'm right and that my way is the only way of doing things (this is the reason why I want to appoint myself as the only judge/voice of reason on shows like American Idol and Dancing with the Stars, or as someone who can make or break legislations. I know, two completely different things but hey, I think I'm right in lots of fields.).

So that was a long aside, lol. Anyway, Bryn is a wonderful heroine full of energy, bravery, but also has her flaws and is vulnerable in more ways than one. She's a perfectly well-rounded character, as are a lot of characters in the book. Barnes does a fantastic job of characterization and setting up this whole world without making it seem like an infodump. She makes it compelling and readable. I'm very excited to see where the characters will go next, whenever the sequel comes out. This is definitely a book to check out.

FTC: Recieved ARC as part of Around the World tours. Amazon link is an Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

3 comments:

  1. I just started this, I Love Barnes' voice and Bryn seems like such a fun character. Ill be curious to see how I feel about some of the wolf-pack mentality decisions made. Very cool so far though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you liked this book too! I thought it was great, I totally agree with you about Callum's decisions. There were points where I wanted to shout at him, but I guess being and Alpha gives him a totally different mindset. Anyways, great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I can't wait to read this. I ADORE werewolf books so this is pretty much the perfect book for me, it seems!

    ReplyDelete