Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers


Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers
"When Eddie Reeves’s father commits suicide her life is consumed by the nagging question of why? Why when he was a legendary photographer and a brilliant teacher? Why when he seemed to find inspiration in everything he saw? And, most important, why when he had a daughter who loved him more than anyone else in the world? When she meets Culler Evans, a former student of her father’s and a photographer himself, an instant and dangerous attraction begins. Culler seems to know more about her father than she does and could possibly hold the key to the mystery surrounding his death. But Eddie’s vulnerability has weakened her and Culler Evans is getting too close. Her need for the truth keeps her hanging on...but are some questions better left unanswered?"- summary from Amazon

I'm not sure what to say about this book. I did enjoy reading it, like I do all of Courtney's books, but at the same time, I felt like something was missing. I wasn't as into this book as her previous two. I mean, I put it down the whole weekend and maybe read 20 pages Saturday and Sunday. It was just weird. Normally, I'm turning the pages maniacally and can't put it down. But I was easily able to put this down; there was no sense of urgency in it for me.

I don't mean to come across as saying that Summers did a bad job or something because she didn't. Her prose is extremely exceptional and really taps into the feelings of a girl who's lost her father in a horrible way and is still dealing with the grief. How she might act out, be searching endlessly for answers, look up to any ray of light that might help her figure it out. It's emotional and heart-wrenching.

The relationships here are well-defined right away and grow throughout the book. I loved seeing Eddie and Milo together (oh, how I wish I was talking about a gay couple) and their friendship was wonderful to see. They really did get and understand each other really well.

Overall, I'd recommend her first two books over this personally, but this is still a pretty good book (a B compared to the A+'s of CUTB and SGA). Definitely check it out especially if you loved her previous two. I'm in the minority for not loving it unconditionally.

Also, there was a fun thing I did on Twitter over the weekend called the James Cry Watch 2010 where I read the book and updated with my thoughts on it because people were saying this book would make you cry. I'm not a crier, so I took on the challenge. See how it panned out by going here (hopefully the link works). Start from the bottom and go up.

FTC: Received ARC from publisher. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

4 comments:

  1. I loved Cracked Up To Be so I will possibly check this out at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this one, but I get what you mean by saying something just felt like it was missing. But Eddie and Milo are one of my favorite 'couples' now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I just finished this and I LOVED it, couldn't put it down. I did have a VERY BookChic reaction to a lot fo the characters in that I wanted to slap or hit them quite badly at some points!

    Did you work out the mystery?

    ReplyDelete