Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins


Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
"Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It’s gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie’s estranged father—an elusive European warlock—only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it’s her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her."- summary from Amazon

I don't know why it took me so long to get to this book because I LOVE books about witches (in fact, I think I have several books with witches I have yet to read- must rectify that!). I love watching TV shows about witches- Bewitched, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Charmed. So a book all about a boarding school for witches and other paranormals? Right up my alley.

I flew through this book. Hawkins' prose is just so compelling and Sophie's voice was so good that I just didn't want to put it down. The mystery of the student attacker helped as well plus the romance in the story. The characters were wonderful and funny and I really liked hanging out with them. It makes me want the sequel so badly!!

Overall, an awesome, funny paranormal debut and Hawkins has a fan for life.

FTC: Received ARC from publisher. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

7 comments:

  1. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THIS SERIES.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't it awesome!!
    I LOVED IT!
    I hope you can read Demonglass soon!! Though... like, you're going to want book 3 right away, I swear.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've yet to read this one (which is bad since Hawkins and I are practically neighbors...I should support fellow Alabama authors!) but it looks like maybe I should wait till the 3rd book is out so I don't have the panic of waiting on the next in the series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tittered for months about this one, but with so many loving it I just might have to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have still failed to read this book, even though the "Waaaaant" set in as soon as it came out. At least it's on my shelves now.

    This review has convinced me to bump it up on my pile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE THISS! seriously! cannot believe that demon glass just came out!!! i wanna read book threeeeeee, hate not knowing! soo curiouss:(( :P
    this is awesome, though! and if u havnt read it yet, you tootallly should;D

    ReplyDelete