Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Wake Unto Me by Lisa Cach


Wake Unto Me by Lisa Cach
"Caitlyn Monahan knows she belongs somewhere else. It's what her dead mother's note suggested, and it's what her recurring nightmares allude to.

Desperate to flee these terrifying dreams--and her small town--she accepts a spot at a boarding school in France. Only, when she arrives, her nightmares get worse.

But then there are her amazing dreams, so vivid and so real, with visits from an alluring, mysterious, and gorgeous Italian boy from the 1500s. Caitlyn knows they are soul mates, but how can she be in love with someone who exists only in her dreams?

Then, as her reality and dream world collide, Caitlyn searches for the real reason why she was brought to this school. And what she discovers will change her life forever."- summary from Amazon

I really enjoyed this book. I loved the connection to the past and the mystery surrounding everything. There's a great mythology here that Cach really spent a lot of time on- the author's note at the end has some really cool facts and thoughts. Plus, the exotic location of France, though underused, is still pretty fun to see.

Caitlyn is a great heroine though I could've done with less moping from her when it came to The Boy (whose name I can't remember! Gah!). I loved reading her interactions with the fellow students and there's some great humor in here. I also liked that she was really into art and how it's used in the story.

Overall, a really good book with wonderful characters, an interesting romance, and some twists and turns. I also think it's a standalone which is cool, though it could be expanded upon which is nice; yet another book that meets that quota. Definitely check this out on March 31 when it's released!

FTC: Received ARC via Around the World Tours. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

3 comments:

  1. I'm really excited to read this one and I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the review! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book!! I did not want to give up my ARC when I got it on the tour, but alas, I know other people were waiting on it. I think it might be a stand alone as well, but would love to see more if Lisa ever wrote it :) Nice review James!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had this on my want to read list for quite a while so its nice to see a good review of it! I adore the cover!

    ReplyDelete