Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Love and Leftovers by Sarah Tregay

Love and Leftovers by Sarah Tregay
"My wish is to fall cranium over Converse in dizzy daydream-worthy love.

(If only it were that easy.)


Marcie has been dragged away from home for the summer—from Idaho to a family summerhouse in New Hampshire. She’s left behind her friends, a group of freaks and geeks called the Leftovers, including her emo-rocker boyfriend, and her father.

By the time Labor Day rolls around, Marcie suspects this “summer vacation” has become permanent. She has to start at a new school, and there she leaves behind her Leftover status when a cute boy brings her breakfast and a new romance heats up. But understanding love, especially when you’ve watched your parents’ affections end, is elusive. What does it feel like, really? Can you even know it until you’ve lost it?"- summary from Amazon

I really enjoyed this book-in-verse. It's an interesting, unique exploration of what love is, which was a nice break from a lot of love triangles and insta-love that goes on in a lot of YA novels these days (though there is a bit of a love triangle here, but it's long-distance).

Marcie is a typical teenager and I think a lot of readers will connect with her. I found her voice a bit young at times, but it didn't bother me too much. There's also some great swoon-worthy moments between both of her love interests. I also like that part of it took place in Idaho because books are never set there (the only other that comes to mind is the Princess for Hire series by Lindsey Leavitt).

Overall, I really liked Tregay's debut and I'm looking forward to more from her.

FTC: Received ARC from publisher. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

3 comments:

  1. I was actually thinking of starting this one tonight... thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually just looking at my TBR pile and saw this one sticking out. I've only read one verse novel so far and I didn't really care for it. But this review gives me hope. I think I might start it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked it in the end!
    I think it sounds rather cute and I love the cover for some reason.

    ReplyDelete