Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Temptation of Angels by Michelle Zink

A Temptation of Angels by Michelle Zink
"When her parents are murdered before her eyes, sixteen-year-old Helen Cartwright finds herself launched into an underground London where a mysterious organization called the Dictata controls the balance of good and evil. Helen learns that she is one of three remaining angelic descendants charged with protecting the world's past, present, and future. Unbeknownst to her, she has been trained her whole life to accept this responsibility. Now, as she finds herself torn between the angelic brothers protecting her and the devastatingly handsome childhood friend who wants to destroy her, she must prepare to be brave, to be hunted, and above all to be strong, because temptation will be hard to resist, even for an angel."- summary from Amazon

I read A Temptation of Angels over a weekend and absolutely loved it. The beginning just sucked me in and I had trouble putting it down; Zink just had a really compelling way of writing and the pacing was handled really well. The mythology was really interesting too and explained effortlessly without it always feeling like an infodump. This is also a historical novel that I actually liked, perhaps because not much focus is put on the time period.

Helen was a wonderful character and I really enjoyed reading her story. The romance and love triangle was a bit too played up though and I wasn't terribly impressed by her choice. It just didn't feel right to me. I did like Helen's interactions with other characters, especially Anna.

Overall, I loved this book and its atmospheric feel and hope she writes more! Though to my knowledge, there's no word on a sequel.

FTC: Received ARC from publisher (through author). Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

No comments:

Post a Comment