Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Saturday, May 7, 2016

Is He or Isn't He? by John Hall

Is He or Isn't He? by John Hall
"In the glittering world of New York City's richest and most famous prep school, best friends Paige and Anthony become equally entranced by the enigmatic, ever–so–cute new guy Max, but in order to snag him, they must first use their charms and wit to discover the truth–is he or isn't he?"- summary from Amazon

I've had this book for ages and last year, I had it listed as part of the TBR Challenge I attempted to do and then failed at (I'm pretty sure this was the only book on that list I actually read). But the summary had intrigued me when I first bought it many moons ago, and it still did when I was trying to look through books to add to that list (and honestly, I'm doing a much better job of reading older books this year than I was last year when I was actually doing a challenge, lol).

The book was very funny and it was interesting to see both Paige and Anthony's perspectives as they worked together (and sometimes separately) to figure out which way the cute new guy Max swung. My original review when I finished the book was: "Not how I would have liked it to end but it was still a good, fitting (and sweet) ending." It's been a few months since finishing this book and I think my thoughts on it have changed a little bit. I don't want to go too much into spoilers but my main quibble (the "Not how I would have liked it to end") only applied to such a small part of Max's character; I didn't care if he necessarily ended up with either main character, but it would have been nice to have him be bisexual, that it's not always a "Is he or isn't he?" question anymore. But alas, that was not the case. However, that didn't really affect my reading of the book that much, and I still enjoyed it a lot. The ending too is also very sweet and makes sense in the overall scheme of the book. Ultimately, the main message of the book is to never let a romantic interest get in the way of your friendships (esp. with your best friend!), and that's a great message to impart!

FTC: Bought book from Borders when they were still open many years ago. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

No comments:

Post a Comment