Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

The Ones by Daniel Sweren-Becker

The Ones by Daniel Sweren-Becker
"We are not all created equal.

Seventeen-year-old Cody and her boyfriend, James, were two of the lucky ones randomly selected before birth to receive genetic engineering.

Known as the Ones, this one percent of the population is healthy, beautiful, and talented…and to some that's not fair. Mounting fear and jealousy of the Ones’ success leads to the creation of the Equality Movement, which quickly gains enough political traction to demote Cody, James, and others like them to second-class citizens.

Cody knows even before the brick smashes through her window that it's going to be bad. As their school, the government, and even family and friends turn against them, Cody begins to believe they have no other choice but to protect their own. She draws closer to a group of radical Ones led by the passionate and fevered Kai, and James begins to question just how far she is willing to go for the cause…"- summary from Amazon

This was a really great, quick thrilling read set in a fairly realistic setting with some dystopian overtures. I read this over two days on the beach when I was vacationing- that's how much of a fast, rollercoaster ride of a book this was. I never finish books that quickly but I could barely put the book down. I was however a little disappointed that this was the beginning of a series; nothing on the book indicated this was part of a series so I went in thinking it was a stand-alone and then toward the end of the book, realizing there's no way this could all end in the amount of pages left. I'll definitely check out the rest of the series though because I'm completely hooked.

FTC: Received ARC from publisher. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

1 comment:

  1. I've encountered books where it doesn't seem like there's a need to extend the story into a series. This one sounds like an interesting read, not my usual kind of book but one that I'm hoping my libray will have.

    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete